Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MikeC Posted - 11/01/2003 : 3:10:36 PM
This morning, between rain showers, I happened to look out the window and saw this interloper taking its leisure in the shade garden next to the patio.

Of course, She-Who-Rules-The-Yard [:-doggy] took exception to the intruder and barked furiously and bravely, albeit from a distance. She continued to bark long after the hapless creature had ambled back to the woods until I wacked her with a broom because she was driving me [:-crazy].
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ensign Posted - 05/04/2015 : 9:13:02 PM
Some Osprey that I photographed, on 2 different beaches in the Bahamas.

Greg Shinnie
fireman93514 Posted - 04/26/2015 : 11:14:11 AM
That is pretty neat Ray. I got into my grandfathers bee hive when I was about five. I never went anywhere near it again.
TRAINS1941 Posted - 04/25/2015 : 8:33:26 PM
Honey anyone!!!!
Ray Dunakin Posted - 04/25/2015 : 5:58:25 PM
Yeah, a little bit of wood smoke really makes the bees mellow.
mabloodhound Posted - 04/25/2015 : 5:13:41 PM
I see short sleeves were fine with him.
Ray Dunakin Posted - 04/25/2015 : 12:42:48 PM
Yesterday afternoon our neighbor called while I was at Chili's to tell us there was a big swarm of bees in our front yard. When I got home, there it was, as big as a loaf of bread, hanging on the shrub just a few feet from the driveway and sidewalk. I called around and found a guy in our area who does live removal, which is what I wanted. We need more bees -- just not in my yard!

It was pretty interesting to watch him work. He put a net over his head and fired up the smoker. Then he hit 'em with a little smoke to pacify them, and just shook them off into a cardboard box. He waited a bit for some of the bees in the air to get into the box, then sealed it up. He cut a little "door" in the bottom at one end, and waited for some of the stragglers to join the group. Then he covered the hole with window screen. The bees will be given to a beekeeper, to pollenate crops and make honey.

Dutchman Posted - 04/25/2015 : 08:22:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Bruce,

I think your backyard visitor has been to my home too! Although I didn't see him and he is too bashful to show his face, he mistook our lamps hanging on the barn for bird feeders.
Rich

Rich, we often see evidence of their visits even when we don't see them - foot prints like yours, spoor, a torn apart tree stump (looking for ants), etc. Watch out, you have one in the area.
deemery Posted - 04/25/2015 : 01:57:39 AM
This butterfly stopped to get a drink of water from a puddle while I was washing the garage doors.

(Cropped from an iPhone 5s photo)

dave
Pennman Posted - 04/21/2015 : 9:31:59 PM
Bruce,

I think your backyard visitor has been to my home too! Although I didn't see him and he is too bashful to show his face, he mistook our lamps hanging on the barn for bird feeders.
Rich

quartergauger48 Posted - 04/20/2015 : 8:03:59 PM
Ray, yes it is the same bird. The tree shot it does resemble a morning dove quite a bit except the size.
Plus his head is turned some what hiding his bill.
That tree is at least 150 feet where he's perched.
That's a full zoomed 29 times digital shot no tripod.
as this guy moves fast. I've spent days with the camera(s) tripods 2 and 3 all set up just waiting for
him at different locations on my property to no avail.
Then when least expected, there he is....So it's difficult to get a good shot of him...
Ray Dunakin Posted - 04/20/2015 : 01:05:31 AM
Ted, are both those photos showing the same bird? 'Cause the one in the top photo looks a lot like a mourning dove to me.
quartergauger48 Posted - 04/19/2015 : 10:51:16 PM
Here is the Common Flicker up from Brazil. Spends a couple weeks every Spring.
Then heads North...He returns in the early Fall, couple of days. Then continues South.
This is his 25th year.. Used be a family of 3. Last few years just the one..
At the suet feeder early AM, then at the top of his favorite tree in back yard. When
he pecks, it sounds like a jack hammer. The entire surrounding neighbor hood area
can hear him'...it doesn't look it, but he the size of an adult Hawk'...

Dennis R Posted - 04/19/2015 : 4:06:47 PM
Thanks Bruce.
Dutchman Posted - 04/19/2015 : 10:44:02 AM
That is a fantastic shot, Dennis!
Dennis R Posted - 04/19/2015 : 10:27:16 AM
Thank you Frederic.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000