Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MikeC Posted - 11/01/2003 : 3:10:36 PM
This morning, between rain showers, I happened to look out the window and saw this interloper taking its leisure in the shade garden next to the patio.

Of course, She-Who-Rules-The-Yard [:-doggy] took exception to the intruder and barked furiously and bravely, albeit from a distance. She continued to bark long after the hapless creature had ambled back to the woods until I wacked her with a broom because she was driving me [:-crazy].
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
railphotog Posted - 08/14/2015 : 07:29:23 AM
Ted: The SX series has close up capabilities, and at f/8 work really good, although I usually use my DSLR for such serious work. The 1200 mm zoom is all optical, can go beyond with digital zooming, which is really cropping and not worthwhile. Think that's something? Nikon has a new similar camera (P90 I think) which goes to 2000mm! Saw a video where a fellow started at the wide end and zoomed into the moon, showing great detail.

Also my hummer photos are cropped, probably less than a quarter of the image was used, attesting to the decent quality of the last original image at ISO 800, 1/640 sec exposure. I just point the camera where the bird is feeding and keep the shutter button down using the high speed shutter option.

quartergauger48 Posted - 08/13/2015 : 10:41:10 PM
Bob, I know from experience they are very difficult to
photograph. The smaller the bird, the more difficult.
DOes the SX50 have any macro capabilities?
And that 1200 zoom is that optical or digital....
railphotog Posted - 08/13/2015 : 8:45:25 PM
Love the SX50! Traded up from an SX30, which was my "go to" camera most of the time, although I do have a DSLR (T3i) with 7-8 lenses as it could do most everything I wanted. The SX50 has a longer zoom (24-1200mm)and other upgrades that I am just getting into.

Had better weather today, took another bunch of the bird:

quartergauger48 Posted - 08/13/2015 : 8:20:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by railphotog

Been having fun taking photos of a hummingbird that visits one of my wife's beebalm flowers this summer. Using my recent Canon Powershot SX50HS superzoom camera, set at continuous shooting. Just point where the bird is feeding and blast away. In this session think I took around 150 photos, but discarded over half due to missed focus, the bird moves around so much. Had to use ISO 1000 to be able to shoot at 1/500 sec., f/5.6 on this dark day. This image is greatly cropped from the larger original.

That is a great shot!. How happy are you with
the new SX50??

Frank Palmer Posted - 08/13/2015 : 2:21:50 PM
I live a half hour north of Tampa, FL and we had 23-1/2" of rain during the month of July shattering the old monthly record. The retention ponds are full, flooded streets - what a mess. I saw these Roseate Spoonbills and sea gulls wading in a church lot having a good ole' time.

railphotog Posted - 08/13/2015 : 09:37:00 AM
Been having fun taking photos of a hummingbird that visits one of my wife's beebalm flowers this summer. Using my recent Canon Powershot SX50HS superzoom camera, set at continuous shooting. Just point where the bird is feeding and blast away. In this session think I took around 150 photos, but discarded over half due to missed focus, the bird moves around so much. Had to use ISO 1000 to be able to shoot at 1/500 sec., f/5.6 on this dark day. This image is greatly cropped from the larger original.

Dennis R Posted - 08/13/2015 : 08:57:45 AM
An egret dives for food

Success - next meal, a small flatfish

quartergauger48 Posted - 06/10/2015 : 4:54:24 PM
Getting ready to leave the nest..

quartergauger48 Posted - 06/10/2015 : 4:46:58 PM
This fell from a very tall tree while I was mowing the lawn. Sure glad it was empty. Must have been from last season..

[:-timebm]
Dutchman Posted - 06/10/2015 : 09:19:37 AM
While fishing at a lake in NW Washington State, our grandson came across this slug - huge by comparison with those we see here in New Jersey.

Ensign Posted - 05/04/2015 : 9:13:02 PM
Some Osprey that I photographed, on 2 different beaches in the Bahamas.

Greg Shinnie
fireman93514 Posted - 04/26/2015 : 11:14:11 AM
That is pretty neat Ray. I got into my grandfathers bee hive when I was about five. I never went anywhere near it again.
TRAINS1941 Posted - 04/25/2015 : 8:33:26 PM
Honey anyone!!!!
Ray Dunakin Posted - 04/25/2015 : 5:58:25 PM
Yeah, a little bit of wood smoke really makes the bees mellow.
mabloodhound Posted - 04/25/2015 : 5:13:41 PM
I see short sleeves were fine with him.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.21 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000