Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 A Little Wildlife

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MikeC Posted - 11/01/2003 : 3:10:36 PM
This morning, between rain showers, I happened to look out the window and saw this interloper taking its leisure in the shade garden next to the patio.

Of course, She-Who-Rules-The-Yard [:-doggy] took exception to the intruder and barked furiously and bravely, albeit from a distance. She continued to bark long after the hapless creature had ambled back to the woods until I wacked her with a broom because she was driving me [:-crazy].
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ray Dunakin Posted - 03/25/2017 : 01:09:15 AM
Monday night I drove out to the Anza-Borrego desert for an overnight trip to see the wildflowers. All the rain we've had this winter has produced a bumper crop of desert flowers. I also found an adorable little horned lizard, aka "horny toad".

You can see my wildflower photos starting here:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/Borrego_Trips_2017.html#129

Ray Dunakin Posted - 03/25/2017 : 01:04:32 AM
I saw this guy today:

Western Tiger Swallowtail. His wingspan was at least four inches across.
Ray Dunakin Posted - 03/25/2017 : 01:02:59 AM
Awesome! My brother used to send me pics of sandhill cranes in Montana.
quartergauger48 Posted - 03/21/2017 : 11:50:31 PM
Very cool Frank' you have a regular wild life reserve down there'.. I still have a good foot of snow on the ground' and it's cold'..[:-cold] I'll have to come visit...
Frank Palmer Posted - 03/21/2017 : 8:50:59 PM
Mike, try getting close when they have young around. That 10" beak looks mighty scary.
Tyson Rayles Posted - 03/21/2017 : 11:36:54 AM
Looks like you are really going to the birds Frank! I love the Sandhill cranes. They have NO fear of humans. At my Step-Mom's retirement village they usually show up in Jan. and hang there until early March. When I would walk her dog along the lake one or two would come up and walk with us for a couple hundred yards or so. Her dog is fairly small so 4 foot tall birds kinda freaked her out and she would glue herself to me until they left.
Frank Palmer Posted - 03/20/2017 : 11:26:36 AM
My backyard is all fowled up this morning. The duck family is out for a cruise.

And the Anhinga is drying it's wings on my "low" perch.

And finally the Sandhill crane's "Colts", yes that's correct, are out of the nest for the first time since hatching. It takes a month for them to incubate, that's a long for the parents to alternate sitting on the nest.

Dutchman Posted - 02/27/2017 : 11:00:27 AM
Heron at sunset in Beaufort, NC last week. Sorry, but I only had my phone's camera.

Carl B Posted - 02/12/2017 : 6:47:02 PM
Nice idea Frank.

SSHHHH [:-taped], maybe you shouldn't mention it's nice here, more people will come!
Frank Palmer Posted - 02/12/2017 : 6:38:38 PM
Dave there is a pond right at the base of the cypress trees and they sit up and size up their next meal.

Ted, I’m just sayin’ it's sunny and warm here in the Sunshine State. The biggest ones that sit there are the blue herons and they’re about 3’ tall.
quartergauger48 Posted - 02/12/2017 : 10:42:57 AM
Frank, keep rubbing it in'..You got ''SUN and I got snow[:-cold] not fair...[:-banghead]. Great perch for your nice sized birds. Great idea Frank!'
Guff Posted - 02/12/2017 : 10:25:38 AM
Cool Frank,
What a lookout!!
Frank Palmer Posted - 02/12/2017 : 10:06:49 AM
Humm, Ted's got lots of snow in his yard and I have lots of sunshine in mine.

I have several youngish cypress trees in the backyard and when the green herons, red shouldered hawks and anhingas sit on the top of the tree they bend it over. These are Bald Cypress so they loose their leaves during the winter. WINTER, it's going to be 76 today.

So I connected 2 lengths of 1" PVC pipe, put a hook near the top and tie wrapped it at the bottom to overcome the problem. Where I have the perch that should be good for a couple of years tree growth.

quartergauger48 Posted - 02/10/2017 : 2:34:21 PM
Birds enjoying chow during the blizzard in Southern New England on 2/9/17.

[:-slug]

Frank Palmer Posted - 11/05/2016 : 7:24:15 PM
Gon to the birds.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000