Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
George D Posted - 11/04/2010 : 2:46:22 PM
Our last thread of introductions grew to a whopping 100 pages. I guess itís time to start a new thread.

Mike C provided the original guidance for this thread which works pretty well.

It's really great getting to know one another. If you're a new member (or even an old one who never replied to the original thread), please take a few moments and introduce yourself to us here.

1) Where do you live?
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
9) Post your picture - if you dare.

If you want to see how others answered the questions, the last thread is here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8297&whichpage=1

George
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dutchman Posted - 07/28/2014 : 08:19:51 AM
Jeff & Ken,

Welcome to the Forum!

George D Posted - 07/28/2014 : 07:37:22 AM
Welcome aboard, Jeff and Ken. Thanks for taking time to introduce yourself.

George
nevadablue Posted - 07/27/2014 : 10:44:20 PM
Hi, I'm a retired miner and mechanic and have taken up smaller, lighter hobbies since my back surgery last fall. I am interested in 1:24 models, G scale (45 mm) and Gn15 but enjoy looking at all kinds of models and scales. Hoping to learn and contribute when I can.
I am modeling in 1937, with logging, mining and general small town stuff in mind. No layouts yet. I don't have much space for layouts so modular will be my main mode.
Thanks for letting me join in on the fun here.

Ken
sgtreef Posted - 07/16/2014 : 6:22:03 PM
Well Hi all.

I use to do ho scale have a bunch put up.

But now into 1/6 scale, and looking for any plans , also looking for a plan on A German flatcar, so I can mount a Flak 38 on it.

Thanks.

Also have a set of G scale.

Jeff
Dutchman Posted - 07/04/2014 : 07:26:20 AM
Ben & Kenny,

Welcome to the Forum. We hope that you enjoy your time here.
txdyna65 Posted - 07/04/2014 : 06:10:49 AM
Hello my name is Kenny and Im from Texas. I found this forum seeking information on how to do water, stuck around, lurked and read alot and decided to join. I really like alot of the areas here, some really talented people here. Anyways,after not having trains since I was a kid I bought a 16X32' building and finished the inside of it and have been working on the layout for about 2 1/2 years now. Im using a NCE ProCab radio DCC system and really love it as does my wife and daughter. I dont post alot, mostly read and try to learn, but I will try to participate, thanks for having me.
BenR Posted - 07/03/2014 : 03:18:15 AM
Hiya, I'm Ben from Oakland, CA. I guess I first started when I discovered a small, mish-mash, 4x8' layout in a room of my grandparents house. Since then I've always wanted a layout (unfortunately I don't have the space, yet). So, instead of building a layout, as a kid I built mostly plastic models of cars, planes, etc. I acquired a couple pieces of rolling stock, my favorite being a HO scale Walthers DD40 (I keep telling myself I'll super detail it someday!)

For quite some time I had no area at all to do any modeling, as well as a career to build (I.e. no money) and so on and so forth, though I'd get little bits and pieces here and there. Currently I've gotten myself a small space all to my own in the corner of my wife's art studio and am exploring On30 ever since I discovered 0-4-0 Porters and various micro-layouts as inspiration. There was a particularly good one in an issue of RMC magazine, though I can't remember the exact one at the moment.
Dutchman Posted - 06/30/2014 : 07:44:57 AM
Ron & Thayer,

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for taking the time to post to the Intro thread!
BigLars Posted - 06/30/2014 : 07:40:55 AM
Thayer,
Welcome to the dark side. There is a very active ON30 group here that are willing to answer questions. Stop in the ON30 lounge for a coffee.
thayer Posted - 06/30/2014 : 02:40:49 AM
Hi all,

After 36 years of model aviation, with the last 14 professionally, I am jumping back into model railroading with my 11 year old son. He is enthralled by doing scenery after finishing a simple shoebox diorama for school a few weeks ago. No, the planes aren't going away, but I wanted to do something for him that isn't dad's hobby/work. I had about 7 years of HO fun growing up, but never did any scenery back then.

I am in Danbury, CT and am just starting to sketch out some ideas for an On30 layout inspired by Carsten's On30 annuals and specifically Troels Kirk's stunning art. I grew up along the coast of Maine, so his work looks very familiar to me. Right now the leading contender for subject/period is something based on New England narrow gauge roads set in the pre-WWI era. When I get rid of some airplane models we will have about 10x13 available and if we go that large, it will wrap around three walls with options for both continuous running and some switching. I do plan on starting with some much smaller "samplers" though, to work on our scenery techniques. I've also always enjoyed "making up the story," so a few simple dioramas or micro layouts should help explore and get us going.

The plan is to use a relatively basic DCC system to facilitate just us 2 operators, but haven't any idea what systems to look at.

We've got nothing to show yet, save a few ebay items that should be here in a week or so. I read a lot of Frary and Hayden articles growing up, and they set the hook pretty hard for smaller, backwoods lines with geared steam motive power. At this point we are just sketching up some engine sheds and other facilities and don't want to go larger than necessary. According to my 40 year old scale ruler, O scale structures will eat up the real estate rather quickly, so I am anticipating a good dose of selective compression and cartooning along the way. Toward that end, does anyone have an overall length measurement for the Bachmann Forney, Shay and Climax?

We are definitely looking forward to the adventure.

Thayer
George D Posted - 06/24/2014 : 7:54:10 PM
Welcome aboard, Ron. I think you'll find your "accident" was a stroke of good luck.

George
ron1948 Posted - 06/24/2014 : 7:03:45 PM
I am 66, been in model trains for over 50 years. I live in Westland, Michigan. I freelance a small railroad that was acquired by the B&O. My layout is 4 x 17, a folded figure 8. I like to scratch build and kitbash. I found this site by accident, and will post some photos in a few days.
Cowboybilly Posted - 06/20/2014 : 4:12:54 PM
Hello and welcome, hope to see pitures in the next time.
Dutchman Posted - 06/20/2014 : 08:23:48 AM
Welcome to the Forum, Howard. Getting back into the hobby and sharing the experience with the grandkids sounds like a great way to have some fun!
MarkF Posted - 06/20/2014 : 08:14:02 AM
Welcome back to the hobby Howard. I'm sure your going to enjoy many of the changes that have taken place over the past 15 years.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000