Master Creations Coon Gap Sawmill -Help

Printed from: Railroad Line Forums
Topic URL: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30876
Printed on: 11/01/2014

Topic:

Topic author: RogerRing
Subject: Master Creations Coon Gap Sawmill -Help
Posted on: 09/19/2010 12:40:39 PM
I recently picked up the Master Creations Coon Gap Sawmill at a garage sale unbuilt, missing a couple of pieces, and missing all instructions.

Now I've read that the old instructions were horrible and could drive you insane but I could use some basic interior layout help. I have collected some pictures of finished kits so I can probably get the outsides put together and scratch build the few missing pieces. But I have no clue as to what the inside of the first and second floors look like. Seems like there are some benches and saw equipment etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies:

Reply author: BBLmber
Replied on: 09/19/2010 1:59:50 PM
Hey Roger, contact Brett at Sierra West, he owns Master Creations He may be able to help you with the missing parts and instructions.

http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/index.html

Mark

Reply author: rfmicro
Replied on: 09/19/2010 2:48:18 PM
Hi Roger,

Better myet contact Bill at BTSRR.com, owner of Master Creations.

Reply author: RogerRing
Replied on: 09/19/2010 2:50:12 PM
Thanks Mark, I've sent Brett an e-mail. Thanks for your quick reply. I'll let everyone know what I find out. By the way this HO scale laser-cut kit is really well done. Great materials and detail. Although I believe its been out of production for 10 years and replaced by another sawmill kit by BTSM.

Replied on: 09/19/2010 3:24:10 PM
Thanks Trent, I replied to Mark before I read your post. But now I'm confused, who owns Master Creations? I'll try Bill at BTSRR also.

Reply author: railman28
Replied on: 09/19/2010 5:17:25 PM
Rodger,
Bill at BTS.com got at least the detail parts from Master Creations. I'm not sure about the structure line though. Drop him a line, He's a nice guy.

Bob Harris

Replied on: 09/19/2010 5:19:09 PM
Hi Roger,

Bill at BTSRR.com. Don't be confused.

Reply author: lostcanyonrr
Replied on: 09/19/2010 5:30:07 PM
Bill at BTS bought Master Creations a few years back. His website is btsrr.com and there's a section of the website telling about it.
I got this kit off my shelf to look over the instructions for something just a couple of weeks ago! If Bill can't get the instructions for you send me an email and we might be able to work something out.

I have heard someone say, "that this kit was the best scratchbuilt kit he ever built" meaning it was one tough kit and/or the instructions weren't that great. All of Bill's kits (the ones he produces now) the instructions are awesome and he's a great guy. He's very helpful!!!

Reply author: Frederic Testard
Replied on: 09/19/2010 5:30:55 PM
And BTS released their own version of the sawmill in S scale so they should be well aware of what there is inside.

Reply author: sierrawest
Replied on: 09/19/2010 5:36:11 PM
its not me... never had anything to do with master creations...

brett

Replied on: 09/19/2010 6:00:46 PM
Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. The Coon Gap Sawmill in S scale and O scale were sold out over at BTSRR.com in 2002. HO scale was last produced in 2000. That's where I got most of my photos of the completed outsides. There were also a couple of photos of the third story showing some benches and tables etc. But I have nothing on the first and second stories. I've got an e-mail into Bill at BTSRR.com and will let the group know what I find out. Thanks again. Roger.

Reply author: BBLmber
Replied on: 09/19/2010 7:50:07 PM
Oops, my mistake. Sorry I led you in the wrong direction, Roger.

Mark

Reply author: rtbaron
Replied on: 09/19/2010 8:49:41 PM
Roger.....hope this helps..Rich

Replied on: 09/19/2010 9:03:42 PM
Roger,

The fact about the interior is that it doesn't come with all the internal equipment. That must be provided by another company - whose name escapes me at this moment.

Regards,
Trent

Replied on: 09/19/2010 9:07:05 PM
I think it is Keystone.

Replied on: 09/19/2010 9:25:54 PM
Wow, Thanks Rich, that's the best look I've had at what I'm calling the third floor. And the pics show some of the boiler room also that I needed. I'm now wondering if there is much detail below that third floor level. It would be mostly hidden from view. Thanks again Rich, based on those photos I'll have a good shot at completing the third floor.

Replied on: 09/20/2010 05:41:08 AM
Roger...here's the 3rd. floor....I believe
its listed as a blade sharpening room for the bandsaw blades.

Replied on: 09/20/2010 10:49:20 AM
Thanks Rich, that's a good view of that room also. I forgot to mention , as I've been studying your pics, what a terrific modeling job you did. Very realistic and super fine craftsmanship. Would you happen to have a pic of the room just under the band saw cutting room?

Reply author: mabloodhound
Replied on: 09/20/2010 12:12:48 PM
Roger,
I just looked at the BTSRR website from Dec. 2000 and from his interior views it looks like the only thing under the saw filers is the saw mill itself.
We forget about the Wayback Machine, it's very good for finding old stuff on websites.

http://web.archive.org/web/ /http://www.btsrr.com
Click on the Dec. 2000 link and then on the sawmill and then the 'S'scale construction photos or their own interior photos.

Replied on: 09/20/2010 1:30:45 PM
Roger....Thanks for the compliment but these aren't my pictures. I have saved a few pics over the years for reference whenever I can find them on the internet or forums. I have an O scale Coon Gap Sawmill with sound and will start mine someday so a good reference library is very helpful. The room just under the band saw cutting room appears to be just an empty shell. Don't have any pictures.

Replied on: 09/20/2010 2:09:25 PM
Roger,

It is Keystone Locomotive Works.

Replied on: 09/20/2010 6:21:33 PM
Thanks to Dave and the Wayback Machine, I picked up 5 more pics. Still could use a few more interior shots during construction.

Reply author: dgjj
Replied on: 09/20/2010 6:27:23 PM
Hi Roger
I have an n scale version of this made by republic locomotive works. I believe the manual is the same as the master creations manual for HO with some minor modifications to adapt to n scale (some timber sizes etc). If it would help I can scan this for you and send via email. There are quite a few pages so it may take a little while to scan the whole thing. It has a lot of drawings in it that may help. I haven't built it yet , have had it for years. Looks quite complex in nscale.
cheers
Dave

Reply author: dgjj
Replied on: 09/20/2010 6:28:36 PM
ps I have just started at work so it may take a couple of hours to respond

Replied on: 09/20/2010 8:57:05 PM
Thanks Dave if you could scan the manual that would help tremendously. There are well over a thousand parts in this kit and I'm reaching a point of being overwhelmed.

Replied on: 09/22/2010 2:41:32 PM
I've picked up the Keystone kits to make the interior for my Slatyfork Sawmill, also from BTS. The Coon Gap though, if I'm not mistaken, has all those details included with them. That's why I was looking through the plans a few weeks back to check out all the details it did or did not come with. Those pictures are going to help me with my painting of the details, Thanks! I like how my bandsaw turned out but not how my dead rolls looked. Now I have some better references!
Like I said before, let me know how Bill responds to your request for some plans. I've got the HO ones and no sense trying to convert the N to HO. Besides all the laser cut parts, etc will most likely be labeled all differently as well as a number of different things because it was produced by a different company (with permission.)

Replied on: 09/25/2010 8:07:45 PM
Jim, the Coon Gap HO sawmill did come with all of the sawmill detail castings pieces. As well as smoke generators, lights, and the silver edition had sound. Bill offered the complete plan book with color photos for 12 dollars. Dave's N scale instructions are exactly the same as the HO with a few pages of mods for building N scale. Dave sent me a scan of a couple of the laser cut sheets from his N-scale and they were exact layout and numbering as my HO sheets only physically smaller. Having said that, the instructions are still not the best and the pictures and diagrams while helpful, still leave you guessing as to what goes where. But I'm making progress and starting to build my interpretation of the Coon Gap Sawmill.

Replied on: 09/25/2010 8:11:41 PM
Jim, also I think the Slatyfork Mill has some different interior parts and arrangement than the Coon Gap. I know the outsides are very different. Roger

Reply author: closetguy
Replied on: 09/25/2010 9:08:46 PM
The original BTS HO kit was designed to use the castings from Keystone Locomotive Works. Keystone is hit or miss right now for all their stuff. You can find almost everything except for the bandsaws on E-Bay. Most of the Internet stores have some of the kits from Keystone still available. If you feel so inclined, the Keystone Bandsaw Mill kit shows up every few months on E-bay and usually sells around $100US. It has 2 of everything in it. Brett was selling his HO saw equipment separately for a while. It will give you a more craftsman style of sawmill equipment. It does not have a bandsaw. It uses a twin blade circular saw. Ask Brett if he is selling the "no Frills kits" still. I did run into a guy last month who sold me 2 bandsaws. I was lucky.
Mike M

Replied on: 09/27/2010 11:57:27 AM
Roger, thanks for the update. I heard the plans left you wondering a bit. I've just scanned them. Good to hear you have two other choices for the instructions. I'm pretty close to completing the Slatyfork and someday I'll start the Coon Gap. Looking forward to your pictures! I have the silver edition and sometimes turn on the sawmill sound just for fun. The two are completely different mills but I like them both. I've also started Brett's and that is also completely different from those two. I guess I just like sawmills!

Railroad Line Forums : http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/

© 2000-14 Railroad Line Co.

Close Window