Let's see some waterfront scenery and structures

Printed from: Railroad Line Forums
Topic URL: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27197
Printed on: 10/23/2017

Topic:

Topic author: Zekjet
Subject: Let's see some waterfront scenery and structures
Posted on: 10/04/2009 2:04:21 PM
I'm thinking about building some waterfront scenery and am looking for some inspiration. What have you guys built?

James

Replies:

Reply author: UKGuy
Replied on: 10/04/2009 2:25:53 PM
Time to drag out old faithfull.......

Karl.A

Reply author: Jerry M
Replied on: 10/04/2009 4:23:18 PM
Love it Karl!! I to am just beginning a waterfront for my RR and starting out by building the docks as a base, plan on some hopefully interesting buildings for the area. Jerry

Reply author: visman48
Replied on: 10/04/2009 4:24:45 PM
I don't have alot of recent shots..but here's a few...

Les

Reply author: Frederic Testard
Replied on: 10/04/2009 4:47:35 PM
Sounds like a great thread for the pleasure of our eyes and minds.
I would willingly post something, but my project is still in its very early time...

Reply author: kirk
Replied on: 10/04/2009 4:53:39 PM
My only "finished" waterfront so far will have to do... the Ericson's Wharf.

Reply author: CieloVistaRy
Replied on: 10/04/2009 5:13:51 PM
Wow Les and Troels, fantastic!

Les, you've got to put up more pictures of your layout progress. Looks like you've been making great progress!

Arthur

Replied on: 10/04/2009 6:53:45 PM
Les what did you use for the Barnacles? Jerry

Reply author: Rick
Replied on: 10/04/2009 7:00:14 PM
I don't have any pictures of waterfront scenes that I've built, but I do have pictures from layouts I've visited. I can post those if you like.

Replied on: 10/04/2009 7:02:44 PM
Check out the Wharf Street Layout on the BarMills web site, should be some inspiration there........

Karl.A

Reply author: visman48
Replied on: 10/04/2009 7:49:59 PM
Jerry,
They are HO scale ballast...with many stain coats, and lots of drybrushing.

Les

Reply author: Zekjet
Replied on: 10/04/2009 8:48:37 PM
Hey Rick, anything not copyrighted would be great. Inspiration is the goal, it doesn't have to be your own work.

Karl, I will have to head over to the Bar Mills site to look into their Wharf Street layout. Thanks for the info.

James

Reply author: teaspoon
Replied on: 10/04/2009 11:05:17 PM
This is a great subject,and a timely one with the build that Troels has been working on. Here is a place that I have visited and would like to model: Historic Fishtown in Leland/Leelenau Michigan. It has become a real tourist trap, full of fudge and t-shirts. I'd like to model as it was before being "discovered" Keep on building, Steve

Download Attachment: 96428805_66ebc7cab9.jpg
118.74 KB

Download Attachment: 96421352_84869bca8b.jpg
131.79 KB

Replied on: 10/04/2009 11:18:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zekjet

Hey Rick, anything not copyrighted would be great. Inspiration is the goal, it doesn't have to be your own work.

All the photos are mine, so copyright is not an issue.

These were taken at Bar Mills layout that Karl mentioned.

I'll post more tomorrow.

Replied on: 10/04/2009 11:23:45 PM
Here's another great source of inspiration: It's Sweethaven, from the 1979 film "Popeye" featuring Robin Williams and Shelly Duvall. It's now an amusement park, in Malta.One can almost envision a little 18" line with ore cars coming out of an adit in the cliff, perhaps full of Spinachium ore?

Download Attachment: 2903994791_653d17557b.jpg
134.9 KB

Download Attachment: 3614251865_8fa5363bdc.jpg
197.75 KB

Reply author: LynnB
Replied on: 10/05/2009 11:38:05 AM
I see this thread is going to bring great inspiration for me to start back on my wharf area, some really great work here. If James doesn't ask I will, where are these boats coming from? I need a couple smaller boats for my wharf area?

Replied on: 10/05/2009 6:00:55 PM
A few more from the Bar Mills layout.

Reply author: belg
Replied on: 10/05/2009 6:19:47 PM
Rick, some REAL nice shots. I recognize that back and head in the second to last pic as our buddy Nick O. If I remember right Art had someone else build the sailing ship for him, do you know if thats right and who it might be? Pat

Replied on: 10/05/2009 8:32:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by belg

Rick, some REAL nice shots. I recognize that back and head in the second to last pic as our buddy Nick O. If I remember right Art had someone else build the sailing ship for him, do you know if thats right and who it might be? Pat

You are correct in both statements Pat, I had thought that the ship builders name was on the photo caption from the BarMills site but aparently not...... ""This whaling ship is the "Kate Cory", it's 1:64 (which means it is actually dead-on accurate for S-scale) and was the only commisioned model on the layout......"""

The link to BarMills Wharf Street....

http://www.barmillsmodels.com/wharf_street_.html

An incredible layout by many of the best in the hobby.... (IMHO)

Karl.A

Replied on: 10/05/2009 8:32:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by belg

Pat, correct on both counts. I don't know who built the ship, that info might be on Art's website.

Some pictures from Dick Elwell's layout.

Reply author: desertdrover
Replied on: 10/05/2009 11:07:59 PM
Hey James, check out this thread; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21444 It was the early May Photo Gallery in 08 called the waterfront. Some good ideas there.

Reply author: Zekjet
Replied on: 10/05/2009 11:54:51 PM
Thanks for all the pics and links everybody. This is exactly what I was looking for.

James

Replied on: 10/06/2009 5:20:14 PM
Rick, thanks for the many pictures. These are great layouts, full of ideas, of inspiration, and simply of pleasure.

Replied on: 10/07/2009 12:26:37 AM
Here you go Pat......

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS2031

Karl.A

Replied on: 10/07/2009 5:35:24 PM
Karl, thanks alot for the info. I'll do a little more research to find who did the build for Artie.

I would love to find one just like this in HO scale, Gregg W. also had someone who builds his boats/ships. I downloaded the pdf directions for the kit and it has some excellent drawings. Pat

Reply author: scotchpine
Replied on: 10/22/2009 04:59:13 AM
Beautiful pictures and modelingwork.....
artists! that is what these layoutbuilders are!!
can watch them for hours!( I mean the pictures overhere....;-) )
Btw: why don't we see or read more often about the fact that museums have or could place a layout like these ones showed overhere as a kind of scaled down "industrial monument" ( that is what they are!!!) so you can see in a "small space" how people lived/earned their money in last century...
specialy for the younger kids/people!?

Jos

Replied on: 10/22/2009 08:43:43 AM
This was taken at the Essex Shipbuilding Museum.

These were taken at a harbor not far from there.

Replied on: 10/23/2009 09:16:40 AM
Excellent modeling by Carl Laskey.

I think this one was built by Mike Engler. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Replied on: 10/23/2009 4:28:41 PM
Rick, I already knew this fantastic Shelby's diorama by Carl, but I discover this little gem of a structure by Mike. What a beauty! Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos, both of models and reality.

Replied on: 10/25/2009 08:43:36 AM
Thank you Frederic. Glad you are enjoying them.

Here are two from the GATSME HO club layout.

Replied on: 10/25/2009 09:58:33 AM
Rick, your shots are definitely some of the best I've seen. The size and quality are consistently spot on. What format and size do you shoot and post at? Pat

Replied on: 10/25/2009 6:39:24 PM
Thanks Pat. I always shoot in RAW. After processing in PS3, I resize them (now you've got to keep this a secret. OK?) to 850 on the longest size and save them at a medium resolution (7 out of 10).

Pat, but more importantly, if you want a lot of depth of field, you need to close the shutter down. f22 is what I use a lot. But this will decrease your shutter speed. Sometimes to a couple of seconds, thats why I use a tripod.

Also, you have to put the focus point on the closet thing to the lens that you want in focus. For example, in the last picture I posted, I probably focused on the front of the tug. From that point back, just about everything will be in focus.

Replied on: 10/26/2009 07:36:37 AM
Rick, thanks so much for the "secret" I'll make sure to keep it to myself. LOL Maybe for Christmas I will get a camera I can actually do some of these things with. Although my point and shoot does a good job the macro size pics are still just not what I want. My son is currently dating a girl who's hobby is photography might have to have a little conversation with her. Thanks Pat

Reply author: LVN
Replied on: 10/26/2009 09:48:20 AM
Here is Greg Shinney's Humourous Diorama he did for CSS07

Reply author: deemery
Replied on: 10/26/2009 10:28:03 AM
quote:
...Also, you have to put the focus point on the closet thing to the lens that you want in focus. For example, in the last picture I posted, I probably focused on the front of the tug. From that point back, just about everything will be in focus.

It's actually worth learning about Hyperfocal Distance, which is usually 1/3 of the way into the shot. That's the point at which the greatest depth of field will be in focus.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocal_distance for a scholarly discussion, and the referenced link http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html for a practical calculator and a good picture that explains the concept.

dave

Replied on: 10/26/2009 11:09:48 AM
Dave, thanks for the link, I will definitely read it in the next couple of days.

Don't think a picture of Don Railton's model has been posted yet.

Replied on: 10/26/2009 7:41:50 PM
Another fabulous model. This forum is like a museum.

Replied on: 10/27/2009 08:35:13 AM
PSRR HO layout.

Reply author: BBLmber
Replied on: 10/27/2009 09:27:21 AM
Some days I just wonder where you all find all these pictures? But keep them coming , always lots to look at and get inspiration from.

Mark

Replied on: 10/27/2009 11:07:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BBLmber

Some days I just wonder where you all find all these pictures? But keep them coming , always lots to look at and get inspiration from.

Mark

Mark, all the pictures I've posted are my own that I've taken on layout visits, conventions and shows.

Reply author: jcoop
Replied on: 10/27/2009 11:44:12 AM
Rick,

Thanks for sharing those, cannot get enough

thx

Replied on: 10/27/2009 12:13:25 PM
Yes thanks Rick and everyone for the pics, I saved this thread and am getting some great ideas.........

Replied on: 10/28/2009 06:49:24 AM
Thanks Jerry and John. Glad you're enjoying the pictures.

Couple of pics from Rick Spano's N scale layout.

Replied on: 10/29/2009 09:04:48 AM
Jimmy Deignan's Pennsy layout.

Replied on: 11/14/2009 1:04:42 PM
Here are some pictures I took yesterday at Marblehead, MA. It was very windy and overcast. Not the best conditions for pictures.

I was surprised at how dark the rocks were. reminded me very much of Troel's rocks painted black. Matter of fact the whole scene reminded me of standing in a life size version of Troel's layout.

Replied on: 11/14/2009 4:54:05 PM
Hi Rick, you know the rocks here in Oregon are very black here near the coast as well. We pass huge walls of rock on the road when we go to Eugene and they are coal black with some darker browns and then all of a sudden they turn gray and orange in some places. I collected rocks up in Joseph Or. at 9k ft. elev. a couple months ago and they are deep umber in color, volcanic. In Co. I saw a lot of grays and yellows and tan. I don't think there is a wrong color on a layout when it comes to rock. Those photos could be here, they look just like one of the many jetties around here and if you told me it was Or. I wouldn't have known..

Replied on: 11/15/2009 01:41:00 AM
Rick, how nice to see! Beautiful and dramatic coast! My coloring and the way my rocks look relied on several sources from movies, books and flickr, the best were actually paintings by Winslow Homer! But your photo's confirms that I'm not completely wrong. Those New England rocks are very different from Swedish or Norwegian rocks.

Replied on: 11/15/2009 01:50:00 AM
Does anyone know if there are any kits out there similar to the barge shown here?

Replied on: 11/15/2009 10:23:16 AM
Jerry, interesting to know that the rocks out west are the same color. It surprised me to see them that dark.
Not sure which barge you're talking about Jerry.

Kirk, glad you liked the pictures.

A few more pics.

Replied on: 11/15/2009 11:20:18 AM
I was looking at the one on Jimmy's Pennsy layout. I know it's HO but guess it's scratch build time again.

Reply author: Mario Rapinett
Replied on: 11/15/2009 8:57:23 PM
Great to see so much "junk" laying around in real life......

Rick... thanks mate, for the "happy snappy's"..

"M"

Replied on: 11/15/2009 9:48:35 PM
Hey Jerry, Deerfield River Laser has some barge kits that mite make a good starting point. I haven't seen any kits like that in my travels around the web. Hope this helps.

Mark

Replied on: 11/16/2009 01:50:40 AM
Rick, once again thank you! That small beach with the orange algae was just what I needed for reference!

Replied on: 11/16/2009 09:01:04 AM
Troels, glad the pictures were helpful. Just wish the light would have been better.

Reply author: sparkman
Replied on: 11/16/2009 8:31:33 PM
Rick,
Back when I was a Photo Assistant in the era of 35mm film, photographers used a filter to get rid of some of the grayness.
It was Kodak no. 81 I believe, relying on memory here. I'd have to dig up my old kit/notes for more accurate info.
I was wondering if something similar was available now or that you could do in Photoshop.
Thanks for the pics, brings back some memories.
Do you have any additional of the sheds in the 2nd pic posted?
-david j

Reply author: kewlbrew
Replied on: 11/16/2009 10:23:03 PM
David -

There are all sorts of fun things you can do with Photoshop. I'm not sure that I'm exactly imaging (mentally) the effect you're thinking of. However, I'm certain you can probably get close with Photoshop.

Replied on: 11/16/2009 10:39:28 PM
David, I applied filter 81 to the picture. It did warm it up.

Thanks for the tip.

Sorry that's the only picture I have.

Reply author: sparkman
Replied on: 11/18/2009 10:26:35 AM
Rick,
You're welcome. Glad I could help.
Didn't know if Photoshop had those or not.
There is also the 80A and 80B to mess around with too. They don't warm up as much.
-david j

Replied on: 12/09/2009 08:55:02 AM
Here's a picture I found on Shorpy today. Taken in Los Angeles, California, circa 1899. "The Harbor at San Pedro." Click on the picture to get a very detailed high resolution version.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/7267

Reply author: mabloodhound
Replied on: 12/09/2009 09:29:29 AM
What an excellent photo!
Not only great dockside details but the RR yard and trackwork is a great reference.
Nice find Rick.
[:-thumbu][:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

Replied on: 12/09/2009 12:53:18 PM
Here are two good/inspiring Shorpy waterfront scenes from the turn of the last century: http://www.shorpy.com/node/7268?size=_original http://www.shorpy.com/node/7267?size=_original

dave

Replied on: 12/09/2009 1:13:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Here are two good/inspiring Shorpy waterfront scenes from the turn of the last century: http://www.shorpy.com/node/7268?size=_original http://www.shorpy.com/node/7267?size=_original

dave

Dave, that second picture looks eerily familiar. I know I've seen it somewhere before.

Reply author: Philip
Replied on: 12/09/2009 9:08:20 PM
Plenty of drool material here for sure[:-drool]

Philip

p.s. Isn't Mary Miller a MMR..she's also a sternwheeler. http://www.shorpy.com/node/5445?size=_original

scratchbuilding boats http://www.shorpy.com/node/3502?size=_original

Replied on: 12/09/2009 11:14:42 PM
Philip, yes Mary Miller is a MMRR and is also an On30 modeler.

Mark

Replied on: 12/09/2009 11:48:43 PM
Ain't shorpy great?[:-jump][:-jump2][:-jumprefect] I can get lost in Shorpyland for hours.Steve

Replied on: 12/10/2009 2:04:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Philip
p.s. Isn't Mary Miller a MMR..she's also a sternwheeler. http://www.shorpy.com/node/5445?size=_original

scratchbuilding boats http://www.shorpy.com/node/3502?size=_original

I dunno, if I called my wife a sternwheeler, I might be sleeping on the couch for a while

Replied on: 12/11/2009 5:04:16 PM
What a great sternwheeler! And all these shorpy pictures feature a photographic quality that is really impressive.

Railroad Line Forums : http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/

© 2000-17 Railroad Line Co.

Close Window