The Gallery: Jan 2008 "Photos in Black & White"

Printed from: Railroad Line Forums
Topic URL: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19596
Printed on: 07/31/2014

Topic:

Topic author: Dutchman
Subject: The Gallery: Jan 2008 "Photos in Black & White"
Posted on: 01/02/2008 11:08:11 AM
Our “Black & White” Galleries have always been one of our most popular themes. Since it has been over a year and a half since we have had a dedicated B&W Gallery, I thought that we would kick off 2008 with this ‘old time’ favorite.

Photos can be taken with your digital camera in B&W mode, they can be scans of old B&W photos, or they can be color photos that have been modified with your favorite photo software. “Toned” photos (sepia, duotone, etc.) will also be accepted. Finally the subjects of the photos can be either prototype or model.

As always, please adhere to the following posting requirements: photo files should be no more than 80kb @ 72ppi in size - even if downloading from a remote server or website - and can be no more than 7 inches in width (to prevent viewers from having to scroll back and forth to see the entire photo or read text on the same page). This can also be achieved by sizing your picture so the width is in the 680-720 pixel range.

Photo submissions not meeting the above requirements will be resized by the Moderator.

Replies:

Reply author: Brunton
Replied on: 01/02/2008 12:00:18 PM
Hey, wow! I actually have a photo for this category! [:-cyclops]

0-8-0 switcher #545 takes a brief break under the coaling tower in between arrivals and departures in Laurel Montana, in the dead of night in late autumn, 1942

(HO Scale - Modified Walther's "wood" coaling tower, scratchbuilt tool shed, Proto-2000 Heritage 0-8-0)

Reply author: Dutchman
Replied on: 01/02/2008 12:18:16 PM
Mark,

Now that's what we're talking about![:-jumprefect]

Thanks for kicking off the B&W Gallery.[:-thumbu]

Reply author: railphotog
Replied on: 01/02/2008 1:22:33 PM
My first model railroad photography was mostly all in black and white, processed in my makeshift darkroom in our early residences - kitchens or bathrooms.

Here's one of a Durango Press HO scale speeder shed that I made with the rear wall removable to allow for interior pinhole photography:

And here's my Canon A-1 camera with the 28mm Vivitar lens with the pinhole aperture, showing the relative size of the shed:

Reply author: Ken Hamilton
Replied on: 01/02/2008 1:29:20 PM
Gee...that shed looks so much bigger in the first photo.
Great shot, Bob!!

Replied on: 01/02/2008 1:32:41 PM
This should be a fun topic.
Here's my contribution:

The photo is in color; the diorama is done in B&W....

The box has since been painted black.

Reply author: wvrr
Replied on: 01/02/2008 1:51:17 PM
Ken,

I still love that diorama. Wasn't that based on a prototype photo?

Chuck

Replied on: 01/02/2008 3:10:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Wasn't that based on a prototype photo?

Sort of.
It was inspired by some construction photos
of diversion channels at the Hoover Dam.

Thanks, Chuck.

Reply author: Thorn Creek and Western
Replied on: 01/02/2008 3:50:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by railphotog

Here's one of a Durango Press HO scale speeder shed that I made with the rear wall removable to allow for interior pinhole photography...

Bob-
I think you posted that shot once before, and I like it even better (if that's possible) the second time around. I'd like to know more about that kerosene lamp, near dead center in the photograph. The clear chimney is perfect.

(I don't know why manufacturers continue to make detail parts of transparent things such as lamps, bottles, and lanterns out of metal while it would be just as easy to make them of clear plastic.)
-Dave

Replied on: 01/02/2008 4:30:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Creek and Western
Bob-
I think you posted that shot once before, and I like it even better (if that's possible) the second time around. I'd like to know more about that kerosene lamp, near dead center in the photograph. The clear chimney is perfect.

The lamp manufacturer would be me! I saw an article long time ago (in the Gazette I think), on how to shape small pieces of acrylic rod into such items by chucking them in a motor tool and carving them with the blade of an X-Acto knife. I made several different items such as the lantern, a brakemans style lantern, and a soft drink bottle.

Wasted a lot of acrylic rod doing them too! Doing the cutting with the blade would often result in a premature cut through, with the part going flying off into space.

The completed turnings were fairly rough, and were smoothed out with some fine emery paper, or rouge paper probably. I painted the base of the lantern with Floquil Gold or Brass paint. There may be a few others showing up in my later photos in this gallery.

Reply author: Chester
Replied on: 01/02/2008 8:31:21 PM
I'm still amazed at how you got all the gray scales down so well with paint Ken.
And Bob, that shed does look much bigger in the 1st photo. Amazing shot.

This is photoshopped from a diorama I did a long time ago that depicts American troop movement in France, summer of '44.

Replied on: 01/03/2008 12:26:10 AM
quote:

I saw an article long time ago (in the Gazette I think), on how to shape small pieces of acrylic rod into such items by chucking them in a motor tool and carving them with the blade of an X-Acto knife.

Beautiful job, Bob--
I read a similar tip in MR an equally long time ago and experimented as you did. I made some passable HO bottles, but it never occurred to me then that I could also make lamps or lanterns.
-Dave

Reply author: MikeC
Replied on: 01/03/2008 11:12:40 AM
"Ol' Maggie" clears Tunnel #1 along Millers Creek.

Reply author: LVN
Replied on: 01/03/2008 11:15:12 AM
A CSS07 photo. The B&W really brings out the details

Replied on: 01/03/2008 11:59:05 AM
Here's a shot taken at the end of my 16" by 8' shelf layout I made many years ago:

It is a real B&W photo, not converted from color.

Reply author: jon grant 4472
Replied on: 01/03/2008 2:40:00 PM
Lots of excellent studies so far. I love Ken's idea of taking a colour photo of a grey scene.

Here are some of mine from the Railimages album.

And one from my British snowscene.....

....although the colour shot isn't that much different

Jon

Reply author: Frederic Testard
Replied on: 01/03/2008 5:10:27 PM
Very nice snow scenes, Jon.
Bob, the two shots of the shed, in and out, give a very interesting perspective.
Ken, a great idea to model in black and white.

Replied on: 01/03/2008 5:17:54 PM
Two B&W interior shots of the Doan Valley Garage.

Replied on: 01/03/2008 9:57:06 PM

Port Jervis, NY ca.1971
-Dave

Reply author: Rick
Replied on: 01/03/2008 10:34:05 PM
Here's a picture I took at the New Hope and Ivyland RR in New Hope, PA.

Reply author: lumberjack
Replied on: 01/03/2008 10:37:21 PM
This is a digital picture I converted to B&W. The shot was taken with my Pentax K10D using an old Sigma lens that I added a pin hole disk to the rear element.

Reply author: Coaltrain
Replied on: 01/04/2008 07:36:49 AM

I really like B&W photos of model trains, maybe because when I got into the hobby they were the norm.

Replied on: 01/04/2008 08:26:48 AM
Looking in the opposite direction from my last photo of the yard on my former shelf layout:

The water tower is by Campbell, the enginehouse is my scratchbuild that I've featured numerous times. Again a for real B&W photo from my collection.

Reply author: Chuck Doan
Replied on: 01/04/2008 09:59:23 AM
Another great gallery! Nice stuff so far.

This one's been posted before, but it's about the only B/W shot I have just now. Nick Ogden did the B/W, and Marc Reusser aged it more:

Chuck

Replied on: 01/04/2008 10:02:14 AM
F scale shay.

Reply author: Cletus
Replied on: 01/04/2008 12:02:55 PM
Here are a couple from the D&R!

Thanks!

Reply author: CVSNE
Replied on: 01/04/2008 11:21:12 PM
Thought I'd toss my hat into the ring with this black and white version of a color digital image taken on my Southern New England Railway. The engine is a Bachmann 2-8-0 that has been extensively detailed to capture the basic flavor of a Central Vermont N-5a. This particular model was built by my friend Iain Rice and the process was detailed in an article in MR.

Replied on: 01/05/2008 07:13:45 AM
Another B&W shot from my archives:

This is a Model Power FA-2 that I converted to a VIA Rail FPA-4 so many years ago. From the look of it I probably shot the photo with a small telephoto to get the compressed effect.

Replied on: 01/05/2008 08:31:41 AM
One more from the New Hope and Ivyland RR.

Reply author: JBL
Replied on: 01/05/2008 08:53:48 AM
I posted that photo in a older thread, but it disappeared because the webspace is no more. Its a H0-scale model edited with "gimp".

Replied on: 01/05/2008 4:05:33 PM
I can see that the B&W Theme is once again popular! Thanks for all the post, fellas. Please keep them coming.

Here are B&W shots of some of the interchange cars that have visited the Jersey Highlands RR.

Here's one of Allen's shorty tank cars.

These two both belong to Russ.

Replied on: 01/05/2008 5:51:58 PM

Helo shot of Mike's B&M. Always liked this crossing with the Scratch built school house that Mike made of his early days up north as a teacher.

Replied on: 01/05/2008 6:42:47 PM
Another interior shot of my engine house. This is a digital picture converted to B&W.

Replied on: 01/06/2008 05:55:39 AM
Another day, another shot from the archives:

Another VIA Rail engine, this time an F40PH-2, posed in front of the real local VIA station that we used to have. No more passenger trains locally, only in my models!

I did extensive kitbashing and detailing on this fairly simple model by Model Power (?) because that's all there was when I made it.

Reply author: jaynjay
Replied on: 01/06/2008 07:37:03 AM
I really enjoy all of the B&W shots. Some how Black and White makes the non-real look more realistic.

Replied on: 01/06/2008 08:34:41 AM
Another prototype picture, but this time from the Strasburg RR.

Replied on: 01/06/2008 5:33:35 PM
O scale Cascade Pacific Great Northern from Wayne Paulson's Victoria Layout.

Reply author: Sully
Replied on: 01/06/2008 7:15:45 PM
Bob...very nice shot of that VIA rail F40PH-2....really had me going that it was a prototype shot....tom

Replied on: 01/06/2008 7:26:56 PM
This was taken in Durango in 06.

Replied on: 01/07/2008 08:47:41 AM
Starting Monday off by digging out an old B&W photos from my archives:

This was one of my entries in RMC's "Forced Perspective" photo contest of many years ago. I had almost completed building a 1/25 scale Peterbilt truck as a modeling exercise, so I put my pinhole equipped lens right up to the rear cab window and shot my HO shelf layout through the truck windows.

Here is the truck later, with the sleeper added to the rear of the cab. I also later added a hydraulic crane. Taken outdoors in a real truck yard, with real ones in the background:

Replied on: 01/07/2008 10:33:53 PM
Back at the NH&IRR

Replied on: 01/07/2008 11:15:33 PM
We're getting a nice mix of model and prototype this month. Keep them coming!

Here are some shots from the Huckleberry RR in MI.

Replied on: 01/08/2008 01:46:36 AM
Bob, what a great truck - and great pictures - of and from it.
Bruce, the Huckleberry shots are nice.
Well, in fact, all the pictures shown in this thread are nice.

Replied on: 01/08/2008 07:00:10 AM
Frederic: Many thanks for the kind words!

Here's Tuesday's offering:

Scene taken on my former 18" by 8' shelf layout "Mansfield Junction" many moons ago, all in HO scale. The stakebed truck is Jordan, the steamer is a Rivarossi Heisler. Trestle is scratchbuilt, as is the garage to the left.

Reply author: postalkarl
Replied on: 01/08/2008 07:58:03 AM
HI All:

Some interesting photos here. Thanks for p[osting.

karl S.

Replied on: 01/08/2008 08:24:22 AM
This was taken at Greenfield Village in Detroit, MI.

Reply author: postalkarl
Replied on: 01/08/2008 08:35:53 AM
Hi Rick:

Nice photo. Great looking locomotive.

karl S.

Reply author: TrainClown
Replied on: 01/08/2008 10:26:52 AM
I took this photo a couple of years ago. That's my first rebuild of an engine I got in a scrap box. I made the stack, the lamp and the front of the boiler, replaced the bell with a new one and replaced the cab with a nicer one from another scrap shell. Built the tender from scrap as well.
The rocks are made with the tin foil casting technique and that is my very first tree I ever made. Also my first effort to photoshop steam and smoke, too.

Christopher [:-clown]

Reply author: Dick Kuepper
Replied on: 01/08/2008 4:02:32 PM
I hope I didn't post this here before, but I LOVE the toy trains photos that look like the late 40s - early 50s!!

Replied on: 01/09/2008 05:12:34 AM
Here are three:

Punchbowl Road Bridge

Water Column

Empty Station

-Dave

Replied on: 01/09/2008 09:19:56 AM
Railfanning on the D & H.

Replied on: 01/09/2008 7:13:45 PM

Replied on: 01/09/2008 8:45:37 PM
In my early days in the hobby I had quite an interest in RDCs, and had a fleet of Athearn ones that I modified into various ones that weren't available. I was facinated in the "Roger Williams" trainset that included RDCs modified with cabs on one end. I made a version, but lettered it for my own Fundy Northern as it did not have all the features of the prototype:

Made from an Athearn RDC with a highly modified cab taken from a Model Power FA-1.

Reply author: Jim T
Replied on: 01/09/2008 10:09:47 PM
Boy, what a great collection of pictures this month. [:-thumbu]

Jim

Replied on: 01/10/2008 09:54:01 AM
Thursday brings another of my old BW shots:

Model is a scratchbuilt copy in HO of FSM's Mckenzie Milling. Taken with my pinhole equipped lens.

Replied on: 01/10/2008 10:12:08 AM
This old building is a real gem, Bob.

Replied on: 01/10/2008 8:37:00 PM
Bob, I really like that last shot!

Chuck

Reply author: akimmons
Replied on: 01/10/2008 9:30:57 PM
Bob, that's a great old shed! Wonderful roof. Can we see more of it?

Replied on: 01/10/2008 10:01:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by akimmons

Bob, that's a great old shed! Wonderful roof. Can we see more of it?

Certainly, here's another one I happen to have in my computer:

Reply author: anbhurst
Replied on: 01/11/2008 12:32:15 AM
Compressor from the 2004 NNGC at Santa Clara:

Replied on: 01/11/2008 06:24:23 AM
Friday brings a shot of my mini turbine, made from an article in RMC many years ago:

Basic unit is an MDC boxcab with lots of parts added.

Replied on: 01/11/2008 07:45:50 AM
here is one I did the other day using Corel Photo-Paint and real smoke.

Reply author: cnj999
Replied on: 01/11/2008 07:52:43 AM
Here an older, blended, scene I did some years ago that garnered a 2nd place in the photo contest at the 2000 MNRA National.

CNJ999

Replied on: 01/11/2008 11:58:40 AM
I have been messing around with a program called Helicon focus to get better depth of field in photos. The program works great. I was going around the layout and I tried to set up some photos that would look like the type a railfan would take of a real train, not a modeler taking a photo of my favorite locomotive.

If you have ever taken a picture of a real train you know that your pretty much have to take what you can get. You can move locomotives around or remove telephone poles. You can't even sometimes stand in the best spot.

I took this photo as if I had walked up to the tracks at a locomotive terminal and just took a picture. In the scene is an 0-8-0 that is working the yard in the foreground. In the background there is a 2-6-6-2 that has just taken on water and is about to leave the engine service tracks. I altered the photo to be in black and white, I think that model steam locomotives look better in B&W because that is how we see most old photos of them.

here is the photo that has had the depth of field fixed with Helicon focus.

I liked the photo but I thought it just didn't have the railroady look of a steam locomotive terminal. Missing was all the smoke and the smog that is usually present around steam locomotives. My layout is set in the Appalachian mountains where on a summer day the air is very heavy, and that smoke from the locomotives would be hanging low. I used several real images of smoke from photos of real steam locomotives that I pasted into my model photo. I also added the ever present smog that would have been hanging around in the background.

Replied on: 01/11/2008 12:50:37 PM
Wow, the steam and smoke do make a great difference!

Replied on: 01/11/2008 2:14:31 PM
Coaltrain, the smoke and steam makes a big difference. Excellent photography and processing.

Here's a picture of the station on the Jersey Valley RR.

Replied on: 01/11/2008 3:55:08 PM
Jeff, your shots are quite inspiring!

Here are a few I just took with the camera set to B&W.

Replied on: 01/11/2008 4:09:47 PM
What a great picture,coaltrain. It's so realistic we can almost hear the locos.

Reply author: Jim T
Replied on: 01/11/2008 4:15:20 PM
Coaltrain, That was neat being able to see the before and after picture. Good work.
Nice picture, Rick.
Bruce, I really like that one of Tyler's Tires.

Jim

Replied on: 01/11/2008 9:27:20 PM
Two things strike me as I've been observing all these great photos. When the color has been taken away from me, my eyes recognize other things more readily. First thing I noticed was what an important part shadows and light plays in the photo. If any of you are like me, the first thing you did was start diddling with your photo manipulation software and crank a bunch of b&w photos out. It's OK, I admit to being an artsy wannabe. This photo doesn't do a thing for me in color but I really like the shadows here.

The second thing I began to take more notice of was outlines. Or maybe I should just say lines of any kind. This was distracting in some of the photos but then I had some low angle shots that put the focus on them alone almost and I had a little more appreciation for them. Here, the tree branches, masts, boom and cabling all are much less apparent in the color shot.

Replied on: 01/12/2008 07:02:57 AM
This picture was taken at Jimmy D's Pennsy Layout.

Replied on: 01/12/2008 07:39:00 AM
Rick...... I really like that building and scene. was that a kit? Or was it and is there a link to other images from this layout?
Cletus

Replied on: 01/12/2008 07:39:56 AM
I agree, there are some great pictures coming in during this months topic! Well done everyone.
Cletus

Replied on: 01/12/2008 08:19:25 AM
From the inside looking out:

Replied on: 01/12/2008 08:28:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cletus

Rick...... I really like that building and scene. was that a kit? Or was it and is there a link to other images from this layout?
Cletus

Thanks Cletus, glad you liked the picture. I'm not sure if it's a kit or not, but my guess is that it's scratch built. Hopefully Jimmy will see this and give us the answer.

There are more pictures of the layout in this thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14642

Scott Mason did a long thread on restoring the layout, but I can't find that thread.

Jimmy also had a web site but I think it's down now.

Replied on: 01/12/2008 08:30:58 AM
That type of perspective, from within, does nothing but enhance the realistic feeling. What is the car you shot through look like, or is it just a staged set up for that purpose? It room move the outside brake and handrails, and it could be from with a building........ Interesting thought you just gave me.

I remember John Allen use to setup shots using O scale people close etc. for a similar perspective.
Cletus

Replied on: 01/12/2008 08:32:07 AM
Rick..... Thanks for the tip to the thread. Appreciate it.

Cletus

Replied on: 01/12/2008 08:37:01 AM
Cletus:

You caught me! Here's another shot, done in sepia in the darkroom:

Here's the setup, a car interior mockup in approximately O scale for shooting my HO scale models. I built the perpective into the set.

As a long time amateur photographer, I've had great fun in trying to do things differently. I love the challenge of model photo contests, as it gets the creative juices running!

Replied on: 01/12/2008 08:47:48 AM
Bam!....... What a great setup. I love it. Like I said, can you imagine what else you could do? You probably already do!!!!!!

Let the creativity roll!!!!!!!!!

Well done and thanks for fessing up!

Cletus

Replied on: 01/12/2008 09:10:54 AM
Bob, I love your 'looking out from the inside' photos.[:-thumbu]

Chester, I enjoyed both your observations and your photos. I'm glad that this month's Gallery topic got you 'reflecting'.

Rick, please keep those photos coming!

Replied on: 01/12/2008 1:06:44 PM
Bob
What a great setup. The shot you made through it is very impressive.

Replied on: 01/12/2008 6:39:40 PM
Out Railfanning today at Smith Falls. A B&W for the day.

Reply author: rckwallaby
Replied on: 01/13/2008 01:45:19 AM
OK.
Black and White.
I lived through that period, so here's a few that I've scanned off old prints.
Firstly;
The Chillingham Workshops on the Gulugaba North Western Rly.

A shot across the dual gauge 65' turntable. The model is based around the FSM135 Engine House. I built this in the mid '70's. It is currently undergoing renovations and extensions which could take me until 2070 to complete.

Malcolm Furlow DownUnder.

During his modelrailroading heyday, Malcom Furlow visited the Prospect Model Railway Club in Sydney and gave a few seminars on scenery techniques at one of our exhibition weekends. Must have been about 1982 or so. Here's his models and the diorama he built while here. Them there Colorado hills are now a part of my modules on the Gulugaba North Western and aptly named the Furlow Ranges.

Ardglen. New South Wales

About 350km (210 miles) north west of Sydney Australia, Ardglen is the station on the west side of the NSW Govt Railways crossing of the Great Dividing Range. A south bound freight is just clearing the station while a road deisel waits switching chores at the nearby quarry.

A closer shot of the end elevation of Ardglen Station. This little country stop is fascinating for its old sleeper platform and its construction on a gradient of about 1.5 to 2 %.

A Western Culvert

Taken during one of my many visits to the cotton fields around Narrabri, NSW, this is a most interesting timber culvert or the smallest example of a ballasted trestle.

Among The Gum Trees

About 500kms west of Sydney and out beyond Dubbo, NSWGR #4916 hauls a mixed freight across a long trestle over one of the many mostly dry creekbeds. An artsy attempt to frame the loco among the trees that border Australian railway lines.

And finally.
A Postcard From Portugal.

During my May 2007 visit to Lisbon, Portugal I picked up this interesting postcard showing an old tram negotiating the narrow city streets of Lisbon.

Enjoy.
Cheers
Phil Morrow

Reply author: mppmodels
Replied on: 01/13/2008 02:10:29 AM
Here are a few shots of some models I made way back when many were not available like they are today.

Been a long time since I modeled something that actually had wheels on it! To busy making structures I guess.....

Andy Lester
www.mpp-models.com

Reply author: mppmodels
Replied on: 01/13/2008 02:15:32 AM
Here are a few more I dug up.

Enjoy!

Andy Lester
www.mpp-models.com

Replied on: 01/13/2008 07:25:32 AM
Sunday brings another old black and white image out of the archives:

My HO scale scratchbuilt machine shop set in a scene for photography. It has never been a part of a layout, just a stand alone model.

Replied on: 01/13/2008 08:20:02 AM
Phil, Andy, & Bob,

Another great collection of B&W's. Phil, I love the metal rain water tank next to that little shop, and that tram in Portugal better not rock from side-to-side too much.[:-bigeyes]

Reply author: RichBeau
Replied on: 01/13/2008 09:02:17 AM
I've been busy lately but have been following this wonderful thread daily. Keep 'em coming! [:-thumbu][:-star][:-thumbu][:-star][:-thumbu]
--Rich B.

Oh yeah whoever asked can find more Pennsy photos here...
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16588

Reply author: rrkreitler
Replied on: 01/13/2008 10:53:08 AM
Love the pics everyone! A lot of really great photos.

Here is one from a Zn3 diorama built inside a bell jar used for diaplaying dolls...

I am just getting caught up on this thread so I have been looking back through some of the posts. Bob, that picture of the truck is really cool. You matched the perspetive with the real trucks in the background perfectly. Your work with perspective is really impressive. I also like the shot of your setup for shooting out the back of the car. You mention that you "built" the perspective into that setup. I can see what you mean horizontally but I can't tell if you have any vertical perspective built into that setup (meaning for example, are the windows on the side walls slightly taller than the windows on the end to force the idea they are closer?) Can't tell from the angle that shot is taken.

Either way, very clever and you get some great shots.

Replied on: 01/13/2008 11:53:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rrkreitler
You mention that you "built" the perspective into that setup. I can see what you mean horizontally but I can't tell if you have any vertical perspective built into that setup (meaning for example, are the windows on the side walls slightly taller than the windows on the end to force the idea they are closer?) Can't tell from the angle that shot is taken.

Either way, very clever and you get some great shots.

Dave:

No, I meant the horizontal walls only. To keep the vertical perspective all I did was make sure the camera lens was straight on to the ends/windows. I had to put black cardboard over the set and camera to keep the light out when I shot the photos.

Digital would have been so much easier for much of the stuff I've done in the past, with the ability to immediately see what worked or not. Exposure was a problem at first when I stated using my pinhole equipped lens, but by trial and error I found that if I just doubled the exposure time given by the camera's built in meter, it seemed to work right, both for B&W and color slides.

Most of the exposures using 400ASA film with the pinhole lens were in the 8 seconds range. This was with three 500-watt photofloods providing the (hot!) lighting!

Replied on: 01/13/2008 7:33:24 PM
This one is a digitized copy of a slide converted to B&W.....whew!

Reply author: Tim Kerkhoff
Replied on: 01/13/2008 9:43:41 PM
WOW...super duper photos guys.

Coaltrain....your photo compositions are very nice, the editing with the smoke fooled me when I first looked at. Great job.

Replied on: 01/13/2008 11:39:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Phil, Andy, & Bob,

Another great collection of B&W's. Phil, I love the metal rain water tank next to that little shop, and that tram in Portugal better not rock from side-to-side too much.[:-bigeyes]

Bruce,
Thanks. Those rain water tanks are very common detail across the whole of Australia.
Cheers
Phil

Replied on: 01/14/2008 07:13:07 AM
A B&W conversion of the Davenport I built.

Replied on: 01/14/2008 08:02:22 AM
My derelict F-7 in black & white:

Reply author: engineerkyle
Replied on: 01/14/2008 11:22:38 AM
Here's one that's kinda septia tone.

Replied on: 01/14/2008 6:40:58 PM
Rick and Bob, nice locos - quite different styles...
Intriguing colors, Kyle.

Replied on: 01/15/2008 06:14:01 AM
Here I am again on a Tuesday morning with another from the archives:

One of several scenes I prepared and photographed many years ago to participate in a forced perspective photo contest held by RMC. I did not enter this one. The foreground car and figures are O scale (On30 actually), the middle distance combine is HO and the far steamer is N scale. All posed on my 18" wide shelf layout. As I mentioned previously, nothing like a contest or challenge to get creativity going! I have another in this series that I'll post later.

Replied on: 01/15/2008 06:50:59 AM
Very interesting, Bob.

Replied on: 01/15/2008 08:39:20 AM
A track crew shed in B&W.

Replied on: 01/15/2008 09:16:31 AM
Thank you Frederic.

A B&W conversion taken on Dick Elwell's layout.

Replied on: 01/15/2008 11:28:16 PM
A King Post Bridge on the Jersey Highlands RR.

Replied on: 01/16/2008 06:15:30 AM
"Hey - you little people! Get back to work! I brought you into this world and I can take you out!"

Replied on: 01/16/2008 07:37:19 AM
HAHAHAHAHA. Pretty funny, Bob!

Chuck

Replied on: 01/16/2008 08:47:25 AM
Taken at the '07 NG Convention.

Replied on: 01/16/2008 4:32:45 PM
This one is really wonderful, Rick. I plan to use it as an inspiration for a part of the fisherman village on my future layout.

Replied on: 01/16/2008 4:46:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

This one is really wonderful, Rick. I plan to use it as an inspiration for a part of the fisherman village on my future layout.

Thank you Frederic. I wish I had some kind of a backdrop to put behind it to hide some of the other structures. I have a few more pictures of this pier that I'll post over the next few days.

Reply author: RichBeau
Replied on: 01/16/2008 5:30:55 PM
There's so many great photos. Here's a couple of photos converted to old chemical style processes using digital tools.

This first is from the same model as Rick's but I wanted to get that old Selenium tone kind of image.

This one is from Al Carter's Tabooma County Rwy.

It's meant to emulate an old monochrome photographic printing process that gives that cyan-blue tone called Cyanotype.

--Rich B.

Replied on: 01/16/2008 6:13:49 PM
Very nice shots, Rich. It's fun to see how authentic these tricky digital photos look.

Reply author: George D
Replied on: 01/16/2008 6:24:17 PM
Terrific pictures this month. Since Bob Boudreau showed some nice pictures through model windows, I'd thought I'd show you through a 1:1 window. This was taken from a tram in the Italian Alps.

George

Replied on: 01/17/2008 07:52:05 AM
Thursday's offering from my black and white archives:

Atlas RS-11 converted to a Canadian MLW RS-18 is framed by the boom and boom car deck of a Gould crane (now Tichy, this one was a Gould).

Replied on: 01/17/2008 08:39:45 AM
Fantastic depth-of-field and great composition, Bob.
Was this with your pinhole lens?

Replied on: 01/17/2008 08:50:00 AM
quote:

"Hey - you little people! Get back to work! I brought you into this world and I can take you out!"

Now Bob,
This a Family rated site.
We don't want you scaring small children. Nor black dogs.

Very interesting photo angle though.
Cheers
Phil Morrow

Replied on: 01/17/2008 09:56:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Hamilton

Fantastic depth-of-field and great composition, Bob.
Was this with your pinhole lens?

Thanks! And yes it was with my pinhole equipped lens.

Replied on: 01/17/2008 1:33:48 PM

Replied on: 01/18/2008 07:19:31 AM
Fairly lonely here in this month's thread, might as well take a self portrait:

Replied on: 01/18/2008 10:53:07 AM
I took this a couple of days ago on John Rahenkamp's layout.

Replied on: 01/19/2008 06:26:52 AM
Here I am again starting off another day, this time with a twofer:

Most have probably seen my exploded sawmill diorama that is incorporated into my HO scale modules. I built the scene using photos of a real sawmill explosion. A friend has an aunt in the area and had some of her photos. Here is one I used for detailing the center area:

Photo from the collection of Ron Grant

And here is my 1/87th version, not an exact copy but fairly close:

Replied on: 01/19/2008 09:25:49 AM
Yes I remember that one well Bob

Replied on: 01/19/2008 09:35:13 AM

Here is an old photo of my Father and Mother (taken by Grandfather with a box camera) waiting for the train at the CN station in Kelliher Saskatchewan in 1944. Mom and Dad just had a visit with my grandparents just after their wedding in Dartmouth Nova Scotia. Now they were returning back to Dartmouth and Dad's duties with the "North Atlantic Squadron".

Replied on: 01/19/2008 11:04:34 AM

Replied on: 01/19/2008 12:21:26 PM
quote:

Here I am again starting off another day, this time with a twofer:

Most have probably seen my exploded sawmill diorama that is incorporated into my HO scale modules. I built the scene using photos of a real sawmill explosion. A friend has an aunt in the area and had some of her photos. Here is one I used for detailing the center area:

Those photos are dynamite Bob (sorry I had to)

A little self indulgence here. This is a photo of my grandfather's first vehicle for business. The business itself was started in 1907 and continues today under my name. the woman in the background is my grandmother.

Replied on: 01/19/2008 5:15:01 PM
Thank you Rick for the series of photos of the Portland winner.
I remember well your exploded sawmill, Bob. The day I decided to build a shed with a collapsed roof, I understood better how difficult it is to render realistically this kind of derelict structures. Your model looks remarkably believable.

Here is a pic of this shed (S scale).

Replied on: 01/19/2008 6:43:31 PM
Double header on the Durango & Silverton.

Reply author: bxcarmike
Replied on: 01/19/2008 11:31:15 PM
Rooftop privacy

where is he?

Replied on: 01/20/2008 04:43:39 AM
I like the man leaning out of the window, Michael.

Replied on: 01/20/2008 07:59:32 AM
Sunday brings a see-through from my black and white archives:

This is a double exposure on film. Took a shot of the power chassis on this CN C-Liner, dropped on the shell and took another exposure on the same film frame. Could only be done with a model whose body slips off easily, so as not to disturb the chassis during exposure. Imagine something like this could be done with digital two separate images combined in layers, but is waay beyond my interest!

Replied on: 01/20/2008 10:47:45 AM
Another from John Rahenkamp's layout.

Replied on: 01/20/2008 10:59:06 AM
What a fertile imagination, Bob...

Replied on: 01/21/2008 06:34:06 AM
Frederic: Thanks for the comments!

Well today the heat is on, both literally and figuratively - it's -18C here this morning, and these diesels are putting out the heat too:

Replied on: 01/21/2008 08:41:46 AM
Carl Laskey's diorama at the '07 NG Convention.

Reply author: tankertoad70
Replied on: 01/21/2008 9:50:12 PM
Here's a nice shot, taken by Zachary Hastings of the MHMEng, of an Athearn MH GP7 I sorta restored. The overall lokie was in bad shape and in the process of "rebuild", I removed the steam generator casting and DB blister. I added a single chime horn to the roof and that firecracker antenna is made from a section of straight pin and wire insulation. The lokey is painted grey and green.[:-cowboy]

Replied on: 01/22/2008 07:03:21 AM
Another day and another moldy oldy from my stack of black and white archives:

One of my favorite "phun photos", posed on a diorama with a commercial scenic background. I call this one "curious".

The deer in the foreground is about half an inch long. Another pinhole photo.

Replied on: 01/22/2008 11:12:28 AM
Another entry in the contest room at the '07 NG Convention. I believe this was built by Les Davis. Someone please correct me if that's wrong.

Replied on: 01/22/2008 7:12:37 PM
Interior shot of my machine shop from above. The roof and trusses are removable.

Replied on: 01/23/2008 06:38:40 AM
Another B&W twofer, more interior shots from my machine shop:

Replied on: 01/23/2008 10:04:06 AM
Darryl Huffman's entry in the '07 NG convention contest room.

Reply author: bpate
Replied on: 01/23/2008 11:39:53 PM
Still more great B&W photos everyone. Thank you all.

Reply author: Karl Osolinski
Replied on: 01/24/2008 08:06:53 AM
quote:

Interior shot of my machine shop from above. The roof and trusses are removable.

Hi Bob,

Very nice work on your photos...I love the Peterbilt in the truck yard....I thought it was real. Extremely creative models and photography.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Reply author: Karl Osolinski
Replied on: 01/24/2008 08:15:06 AM

Hello,

A shot of ECRR Mallet #455, taking on water at Snake River Station.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Replied on: 01/24/2008 09:31:02 AM
Karl, welcome to the party. Always a treat seeing your pictures.

Here's Marty's (lab-dad) entry at Portland.

Replied on: 01/24/2008 09:31:21 AM
Oh, oh, hard to follow one of Karl's photos, but here goes:

Scene outside the enginehouse showing the Bachmann 44 tonner with diesel engine being worked upon.

Replied on: 01/24/2008 10:24:01 AM
Great B&W's, guys. We have another week to go, so let's keep them coming!

This is an Alco 2-8-2T on the Mt. Rainier Scenic RR.

Reply author: k9wrangler
Replied on: 01/24/2008 10:46:56 AM
Pere Marquette 1225 on one of it's North Pole Express runs in Dec 06 passing the old grain elevator in Henderson, MI

No photoshop here, all real steam!

Reply author: K36-488
Replied on: 01/24/2008 3:13:04 PM
Here are a few from the Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine RR.

Dennis

Replied on: 01/24/2008 4:07:34 PM
Three shots of a Baldwin 141R built after WWII in the USA then delivered to France. It was shot three years ago.

Replied on: 01/25/2008 09:43:48 AM
Frederic:

That's kinda neat, looks American and European too. Sure looks like it is in great shape!

Here's another B&W pinhole shot from my archives:

It's an HO scale scratchbuilt model of a Canadian National 120 foot depressed center flat car. The great depth of field means it is another pinhole shot. The prototype car visited my port city and I took a few photos of it out of curiosity, never having any ambition to make a model. I later found a small railway plan of the car that supplied the basic dimensions, it being the length of three 40' box cars. A little bit of thinking and figuring, and before I knew it I was making the model.

Replied on: 01/25/2008 10:14:24 AM
We all hear model railroaders say "It all began with my Lionel (American Flyer) train I got at Christmas when I was 5 years old ..."

Well here I am in my engineer's outfit with my hand on my Lionel engine - Christmas 1951. This train board was always under the raised Christmas tree when we were kids.

Replied on: 01/25/2008 12:06:10 PM
I'm loving all the smoke and steam pictures. Please post more if you have them.

Bruce, yours is the best picture yet. I'd consider making that your new avatar.

A picture of one of Carl Laskey's dioramas at CSS07.

Replied on: 01/26/2008 10:21:34 AM
Here's a shot of the junk around the enginehouse on my HO scale modules. Taken a long time ago, like yesterday!
Have been shooting photos on my modules that I now have set up in my secondary hobby room, taking advantage of the late afternoon sun that shines on parts of the modules. This was one of the few that I've actually converted from color to black and white. Still have more B&W photos to come!

Replied on: 01/26/2008 5:10:17 PM
The Sundance Central

Replied on: 01/26/2008 5:28:52 PM
Very nice mood on Bob's and Rick's last pictures.
And yes, Bruce, this "Lionel"-shot is very nice.

Replied on: 01/27/2008 07:07:39 AM
Still flogging the archived B&W images:

Taken on my 6' by 18" shelf layout many moons ago.

Replied on: 01/27/2008 12:26:09 PM
An OVT&L donkey sled on the maintenance track outside Barton's Welding, c. 1920.

Replied on: 01/27/2008 2:04:04 PM
This was taken on an On30 modular layout that was in the contest room at the '07 NG Convention. I believe it was built by Noll Horan.

Reply author: cnj999
Replied on: 01/27/2008 2:19:12 PM
Circa 1941 B&W shot of locos awaiting assignment on the HHRR.

CNJ999

Reply author: GrandTrunk
Replied on: 01/28/2008 10:38:17 AM
>>>Here's a shot of the junk around the enginehouse on my HO scale modules.

Say Bob, is that a Penn Line Whitcomb switcher I see?

Replied on: 01/28/2008 10:54:17 AM
quote:
Originally posted by GrandTrunk

>>>Here's a shot of the junk around the enginehouse on my HO scale modules.

Say Bob, is that a Penn Line Whitcomb switcher I see?

That's what it started out as. All I got was the shell, and I shortened the cab and added a PFM SPUD power truck, handrails, sideframes and other details to it. I've never seen a complete model of one.

Replied on: 01/28/2008 11:00:08 AM
Now here's a real oldie:

Took this on my HO scale layout as a teenager. Loco is a brass model that I bought at a local shop for $3.00 a week, earned from my paper route. I painted it with a brush, did the lettering using a nib pen and dilute white paint!

The camera belonged to a long time friend Jack Chisholm, and we outfitted it with a pinhole aperture made from tinfoil, taped to the inside of the lens. It took 126 size film, which we cut up into small sections (in the dark!) and tape to the inside back of the camera. We gathered up a bunch of table lamps from around my parents' house and used them for lighting. Just guessed at the exposure, counting down the seconds. Developed the film pieces in small trays, again in total darkness, and again by counting. Many didn't turn out, but this is one that did. It was really magic in those days!

Replied on: 01/28/2008 2:16:28 PM
Outside the Osage Valley's machine shop, c. 1915.

Replied on: 01/28/2008 6:24:13 PM
Oil drums along the Quincy yard spur, c. 1920.

Replied on: 01/28/2008 10:06:25 PM
I'm going to sneak one more in before the end of the month of a card stock structure.

Reply author: GrandTrunk
Replied on: 01/28/2008 10:18:19 PM
>>>That's what it started out as. All I got was the shell, and I shortened the cab and added a PFM SPUD power truck, handrails, sideframes and other details to it. I've never seen a complete model of one.

I've got one (ebay), it's actually not a bad runner for its size and era. Added scale-sized handrails and so on. Did a semi-successful rusty paint job, might revisit it one day. Charming model despite its cruder aspects. I've never measured it but I suspect it's rather overscale.

Replied on: 01/29/2008 12:00:53 AM
Portion of a driver on Frisco 4516 - taken 6/20/05.

Replied on: 01/29/2008 06:56:33 AM
This prototype shot was converted from color, one of my favorite shots from the 2006 NG convention in Durango. Taken in Silverton, looks like it could have been taken many years ago. It was lightly raining so me and my two travelling buddies were shooting from inside the shell of a small building across the tracks from the station. Kodak P850 digital camera:

Replied on: 01/29/2008 12:28:09 PM

Replied on: 01/29/2008 12:29:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Portion of a driver on Frisco 4516 - taken 6/20/05.

Mike, I like this picture a lot. Good composition and conversion.

Replied on: 01/30/2008 08:25:57 AM
The first model railroad photo I had published:

In the March 1983 Model Railroader "Trackside Photos". Got paid all of $10.00, but the thrill was worth a whole lot more than that. I received a call at work from a friend who received his issue in the mail in the morning, telling me of my photo being used. I drove across town at noon to his place just so I could see it in print!

Another shot with my pinhole equipped 28mm lens, shovel is a scratchbuilt reconstruction of a basic Roundhouse/MDC "3 in 1" kit.

Replied on: 01/30/2008 10:07:43 AM
Thanks, Rick.

--------------------------------------

Outside the OVT&L's machine shop, July, 1919.

Reply author: k9wrangler
Replied on: 01/30/2008 12:19:10 PM

Kentucky Southern wrecker and boom/tool car. Tichy models, straight built from the box

Replied on: 01/30/2008 2:37:52 PM
Bar Mills Sn2 layout.

Replied on: 01/31/2008 08:31:27 AM
Cleaning out my supply of B&W images, my last post for this month's Gallery will be another twofer:

HO scale Heisler in motion.

This is an old 2 foot derelict car found at Edaville in MA many years ago. The original image was a color slide, copied with my digital camera then converted to B&W.

Replied on: 01/31/2008 09:33:39 AM
OVT&L Porter with a log load on disconnects crossing the Millers Creek trestle.

Actually, both the Porter and the disconnects are On30. I shot them as part of a promotion for Rusty Stumps about 4 years ago when he was manufacturing/selling the disconnects.

Reply author: essodee
Replied on: 01/31/2008 12:22:09 PM
Wow, this months topic of black & white photos sure brought out an incredible collection of outstanding work amongst some of our members. I just went back through all the preceding pages and made a list of the contributors:

Bruce, Bob Beaudreau, Ken, Chester, Mike C, Chris L, Jon, Frederic, Dave, Rick, Gerry G, Chuck D, Cletus, Marty McG, Jens, Christopher (TC), Dick K, Allen H,, Coaltrain, CNJ999, Phil M, Andy L, Rick B, Kyle, Dennis, Karl N S, George, Rich B and Karl O.

In particular, I especially enjoyed seeing the numerous contributions from Bob B, which was also an incredible retrospective of one the the hobby's most outstanding modelers, who has been at it steadily for almost fifty years or more. Such fine modeling and inventive photography, has contributed much to the continuation of better modeling, via various publications, throughout the years. If there is one person deserving of an extensive retrospective in one of the leading mags, it is him. And/or at least a full-length book.

And the peripatetic Rick, with his tripod based shots, his innate sense of composition, and photographic skills, has enabled us to really SEE the craftsmanship displayed in the work of so many outstanding modelers in this great hobby.

Thanks to Bruce the Dutchman for organizing this thread and also his fine photographic contributions. What a great month it's been on this topic.

Stevie O'D

Reply author: Ray46
Replied on: 01/31/2008 4:06:00 PM
This is a photo I took many years ago when I was taking a photography class. It's a digital copy of a black and white print and unfortunately the copy does not do the print justice.

Replied on: 01/31/2008 5:33:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by essodee

In particular, I especially enjoyed seeing the numerous contributions from Bob B, which was also an incredible retrospective of one the the hobby's most outstanding modelers, who has been at it steadily for almost fifty years or more. Stevie O'D

Steve: Many thanks for all of the kind words, much appreciated!

A bit of a correction: I may have been modeling over a span of 50 years (actually about 52), but this was not a continuous period. After high school other thing occupied my time, you know the usual, cars, girls, motorcycles, etc.

I got into photography by taking photos of the action at a local drag strip operated by the club I belonged to. This turned into my main hobby for about 20 years, with nary a thought of model railroading at all.

I got back into the hobby in a roundabout way, wanting to use my photo skills to take model photos to submit to the hobby press. One thing lead to another and before I knew it I was back into model railroading. That was about 25 years ago. It's been a great ride so far!

Replied on: 01/31/2008 6:25:01 PM
This shot was taken at the Narrow Gauge Convention last year in Portland.

Replied on: 02/01/2008 11:20:41 AM
Well, I think that Stevie has summed it up nicely. Once again the 'B&W' theme has attracted some terrific photos.

Many thanks to all who have posted photos, left comments, or just visited the Gallery this month.

It is time to lock this thread and start a new Gallery for February. However, I am sure we will re-visit the world of B&W photos at some point down the tracks.

Railroad Line Forums : http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/

© 2000-14 Railroad Line Co.

Close Window